While on a recent vacation I had the opportunity to catch up on a few books and podcasts that I had been meaning to listen to for a while. Two specific titles seemed to have topics that aligned well with one another and factored into some of my goals for this year. These being the book, The Magic Question, by Bart A Baggett and Episode 64 of the Mentee Podcast with guest Jim Bunch. Both the book and the podcast address the idea of small daily habits and practices that have a profound influence on your thoughts as well as your actions, so much so that as a result people find the practicing of these principles improves not only their wealth but also their health and happiness.
If you are anything like me, you likely find yourself overcompensating in one area of life only to find another area being ignored. In my case I seem to do this both in the financial quadrant and in the happiness quadrant, and before you know it one area of my life is getting the back seat to the other. This is something that I hope to change, and the prescribed method according to both Bart A Baggett and Jim Bunch really comes down to answering a few key questions and implementing daily actions that feed all three areas of your life: wealth, health and happiness equally.
In the Book, The Magic Question, author Bart A Baggett suggest writing a few of his prescribed questions on note cards then placing these strategically around your house. Likewise, in Episode 64 of the Mentee Podcast, Jim Bunch suggests setting up 90 day goals for your wealth, health, and happiness then identifying daily steps for each that will bring you closer to your 90 day goal.
Being that I’m not too fond of my handwriting and have just enough graphic design skill to be dangerous, I decided to mash up the questions from The Magic Question with those suggested daily habits mentioned by Jim Bunch into a single info graphic that I can tape to my mirror, my office wall as well as other strategic places in order to be reminded to complete them. I encourage you to do the same
So here is what my outline looks like
- Answer: I have a new daughter and watching her grow up and learn is a wonderful experience that brings me joy and comfort.
- Question: What is another reason to be happy now:
- Goal: Improved appreciation and thankfulness
- Answer: Find time to get away from the computer and connect with people or nature.
- Question: What is one daily activity that will help me reach my happiness goal?
- Goal: Have a better outlook on life each day, release stress
- Goal: Have more energy and endurance
- Question: What is one daily activity that will help me reach my health goal?
- Answer: Run on the treadmill for 30+ mins or go for a long walk.
- Goal: Obtain 30 active customer leads to whom I can offer new services
- Question: What is one daily activity that will help me reach my wealth goal?Answer: Send out a single email each day to someone in my network offering time to dialogue or network on the phone or in person.
If you are ready to take on this challenge, let me know if I can be of any help. I’m offering a free 15 min call to anyone interested in discussing ways we here at Enleaf can be of assistance in helping you reach your business or personal goals. I’m also interested to know if you have any suggested daily habits that have helped you succeed in a particular area of your life? If so, tell us about in in the comments section below.